BOTOX is a protein derived from botulinum toxin that is injected underneath the skin to minimize or smooth out lines and wrinkles on the face. When low doses of BOTOX® are used, it selectively weakens or
relaxes facial muscles, giving the recipient a clean, smooth facial appearance. Although there are risks, they are rare. Injection site redness, swelling and bruising is possible and temporary if they occur. Eyelid droop,
asymmetry, and lack of effect are also rare occurrences. One can have an allergic reaction to BOTOX®. Those taking certain antibiotics are at risk for an adverse reaction. Anyone who is taking an antibiotic is advised to make your provider aware of this before being injected with BOTOX®. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are advised to postpone BOTOX® injections until their little ones are no longer dependent upon them for nutrition.
Is It Safe?
BOTOX® procedures are completely safe when performed under proper sterilization and sanitation guidelines. These guidelines include the following:
- All needles should be new and sterile for each client.
- All equipment and supplies should be pre-sterilized and disposed of in a sanitary manner.
- Gloves should be new for each client and changed periodically during the procedure.
- The room or treatment area should be in an area free from other contaminants.
- Georgetown Allure Medical Spa adheres to the most stringent sterilization and sanitary guidelines.
Where Can BOTOX® Be Used?
BOTOX® can be used on virtually any area of the body. Areas that are commonly treated include the eyebrows, forehead, eyelids, lips, neck, jawline and the breast areola after breast surgery. BOTOX® is also
commonly used under the arms for excessive sweating (Hyperhidrosis).
How Long Does BOTOX® Last?
Results vary depending on the area and amount used. It typically lasts up to 4 months.
BOTOX® treatment includes an initial consultation and facial evaluation. An individualized treatment plan to achieve your goals is created. The treatment takes only a few minutes and is nearly painless. Details about
how your BOTOX® treatment will be performed will be provided during your initial consultation. Post Treatment Instructions:
- Remain upright for 4 hours after injection, keeping your head above your heart.
- Exaggerate facial expressions in treated areas for 1 hour after injection.
- Tiny bumps and marks at the injection sites usually disappear within a few hours.
- With any injection procedure bruising is possible; if it occurs apply ice to the area for 20 minutes. You may also use an OTC topical Arnica product.
- Headaches can occur after BOTOX® treatments. If you have a headache we recommend you avoid aspirin or aspirin-containing products. You may use Motrin, Tylenol, and/or cool compresses. If a headache is unrelenting or continues to get worse, please contact the office.
- DO NOT participate in yoga or other rigorous exercise activities for the 1st 24 hours after treatment.
- DO NOT massage or manipulate injection sites for 48 hours after injection.
- Schedule your follow up appointment (if applicable) prior to leaving office.
- Results are expected within 3 to 5 days after injection, with maximum
effect by 2 weeks.